Most people would like to smile with confidence, knowing their teeth look white and healthy. Yet busy lifestyles, dietary habits, heredity, and age can tarnish teeth. At Milford Dental Care in Highland, MI, Dr. Jill Seguin suggests Ultradent Opalescence® teeth whitening for a comfortable experience with exceptional results. You see it in many of the brilliant smiles across Milford, Hartland, Commerce Township, and White Lake.
How professional tooth whitening works
Enamel looks smooth and hard, but under magnification you would see that it is covered with pores and grooves. Pigments from dark colored beverages, foods, and tobacco become embedded in these contours. Brushing scrapes the surface, but bristles cannot reach these established stains.
Teeth bleaching sends a peroxide formula deep into enamel. As it oxidizes, it creates a chemical reaction that loosens pigments and lifts them to the surface. Once the pores are open, the whitening agent reaches the yellowish dentin layer beneath enamel, lightening it as well.
Distinctions of Ultradent Opalescence
Dr. Seguin prefers the Opalescence take-home whitening system because it is gentler than “instant teeth whitening,” but just as effective.
Teeth whitening trays are made from impressions of your mouth. Fill them with Opalescence gel in a strength prescribed for your unique needs, insert, and wear according to your treatment schedule. You see a noticeable difference within a few days, and full results in several weeks. Then, with periodic retreatment, your bright smile can be maintained indefinitely.
Here are some of the reasons Milford Dental Care patients love this approach:
- Opalescence is the ideal teeth whitening for sensitive teeth. The formula contains potassium nitrate and fluoride for comfortable whitening.
- Application trays are custom-made, so they fit snugly and comfortably.
- Since the gel is sticky, it stays on teeth without migrating to soft tissues, reducing risk of irritation.
- Choose from three flavors – regular, mint, or melon.
- “Laser” teeth whitening performed in a dentist’s office dehydrates enamel, so the color can relapse shortly after treatment. Opalescence results are dependable.
- Dr. Seguin tailors treatment, choosing the best whitening concentration for your needs, and designing a wearing schedule that fits your lifestyle – from 15 minutes of daytime wear to overnight application.
Teeth whitening explained by Dr. Jill Seguin at Milford Dental Care
Why should someone opt to whiten their teeth?
Teeth whitening is a great service to offer our patients. Over time the enamel of your teeth thins or also, depending on how much food you eat, can stain your teeth. The whitening can actually remove the stain and whiten teeth.
How does at-home teeth whitening work?
With the at-home whitening, we take impressions of your teeth, and then we make custom-fit whitening trays that you will generally wear every day for about 15 minutes up to 2 hours.
You will start seeing results within a week or so, and it may take longer depending on how far you want your teeth to whiten up.
What are the benefits of at-home teeth whitening?
With at-home whitening, you will always have the trays and can touch up the whitening every few months. Since different colored food will stain your teeth over time, you can use the trays to brighten your smile for a special occasion coming up.
Get safe, effective teeth whitening with Ultradent Opalescence® from the Highland, MI dentist you know and trust – Dr. Jill Seguin. Call (248) 845-4575 for an appointment at Milford Dental Care.