A dental emergency is one of those things that you never expect, and you can’t plan for. One minute you are happily eating lunch, and the next you are searching for an “emergency dentist near me.” When you need emergency dental care in Highland, MI, Dr. Jill Seguin and her team are here for you. Call our office right away and schedule an emergency appointment.
Do you need urgent dental care?
You have a serious dental problem – but is it an emergency? If pain is interfering with your ability to work or perform normal daily activities, the answer is, “yes!” Other circumstances that call for an emergency appointment include:
- Traumatic injury to the craniofacial area
- Abscess (infection pocket, usually on the gums near the base of a tooth)
- Constant or recurring sensitivity
- Chronic toothache
- Loose or knocked out tooth
- Cracked, chipped, or broken tooth
- Broken, loose, or dislodged dental restorations
- Bleeding, swelling, or redness near a tooth
What to do in a dental emergency
The first minutes after a dental injury can significantly impact your comfort, and the outcome of treatment. Critical steps include:
- Call us ASAP to schedule emergency dental treatment.
- Collect any broken pieces or knocked out teeth and rinse them gently in tepid water.
- For a knocked-out tooth, handle it by the crown (the part that is normally exposed above the gums). Never touch the root. Attempt to re-insert it in the socket very gently. If that is not possible, place it in a clean container of milk or hold it inside your mouth between the teeth and cheek. Visit Dr. Seguin as quickly as possible. The ideal timeframe for optimal chance of reattachment is treatment within 30 minutes.
- Use an ice pack externally to control swelling if needed.
- Apply pressure to oral wounds using sterile gauze to control bleeding if needed.
We are here for you when you need us
When you visit our office for urgent care, Dr. Seguin will first focus on tending to any injuries, getting you out of pain, and providing immediate treatment. Depending on the situation, a follow-up appointment may be needed. For example, if emergency dental extraction is performed, you will need to return later for a dental bridge or other restoration.
Maybe you don’t expect to need an emergency dental clinic, but if the need arises you don’t want to waste any time.
We recommend putting our phone number in your contacts for easy access.
You can reach our office at (248) 845-4575.